We aim to offer top-notch customer service – part of that includes doing our best to correct mistakes and embracing the lessons we’re learning along the way! Below you can find the service bulletin we issued to mid-drive ebike customers in July 2022.
We identified the issue and decided that we’d contact every owner of a potentially affected mid-drive ebike. We then sent out the hardware required to properly re-install the affected part, along with printed copies of the bulletin. Finally, we reimbursed owners for any labor charges incurred by taking their ebikes to a shop for service.
We took this route because it’s the sort of service we’d like to receive ourselves, and it was great to hear the overwhelming majority of customers thanking us for our transparency and proactive action. We’re posting this copy of the bulletin in case any riders who purchased a Proxima or Sirius BEFORE 7/1/2022 did not receive their mailed copy or other communications from us or their Vvolt dealer.
All Proxima, Sirius or Centauri bikes purchased after 7/1/2022 are NOT affected by this service bulletin.
You are receiving this notification because you purchased a Vvolt Sirius or Proxima ebike between November 1, 2021 and July 1, 2022. It has come to our attention that a number of motor-to-belt-ring adapters were not correctly installed at the factory during a production run of bikes. This potentially includes yours.
Everyone who has purchased a Vvolt Sirius or Proxima between the affected dates will receive a package containing replacement bolts. However not all bikes will require replacement of the factory installed bolts – please use the information and images below to determine whether your bike fits under the service bulletin or not.
PLEASE STOP RIDING YOUR VVOLT SIRIUS OR PROXIMA UNTIL:
If your ebike looks like this image with a visible laser-etched code facing out, and 3mm hex/allen type bolt heads, your belt ring adapter needs to be re-installed with the correct bolts.
If your ebike looks like these images with the concave side of the adapter facing out and T-25 Torx bolt heads, your bike is unaffected.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW FOR BOLT REPLACEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE REQUIRED TOOLS OR DO NOT FEEL CONFIDENT INSTALLING THESE BOLTS, VVOLT WILL REIMBURSE YOU TO HAVE THIS SERVICE PERFORMED AT A LOCAL BIKE SHOP.
If you opt to take your ebike to a shop for service, please supply them with this notice as well as the bolts we are mailing you. When they complete the work please send us a picture of the receipt and we will reimburse you the entire cost of this repair.
1. Remove the drive-side (right) crank arm using an 8mm hex key and square-taper crank puller.
2. Loosen the axle nuts using a 15mm wrench
3. De-tension the belt by loosening the 8mm nuts on the rear axle tensioners
4. Lift the belt off the front belt-ring. Do not twist the belt- if it is difficult to remove continue to reduce tension with the rear axle tensioners.
5. Remove the motor to belt-ring adapter using a 3mm hex wrench. Discard washers and hex-head bolts
6. Turn the adapter over so that the concave side is facing out. Remove the belt-ring bolts and reinstall them with the 5mm hex fittings facing outboard. Note that belt-ring side A should also be facing out.
7. Install adapter to motor using provided bolts and a T-25 Torx wrench, tightening to 6 Nm
8. Re-install drive belt and tension it to 40Hz using the rear axle tensioners.
9. Tighten axle nuts to 30-40Nm
10. Re-install drive-side crankarm, tightening to 40Nm
Please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org or 866-886-5836 if you have any questions about this bulletin or how to implement the repair.
You have our most sincere thanks!